So picture this. The year was 1987, and I was 11 years old, watching MTV. It was the first time I saw George Michael. He was playing his guitar in his super slim-fit jeans. He wore his leather jacket and was doing all kinds of sexy moves. He had on sunglasses, and his hair was perfection. But the one thing that really drew me in and caught my attention was his beard. I had never seen anything like it. It was perfect!
From that moment, I knew I would someday rock the George Michael designer stubble from that moment. Fast forward a few more years, and here we are today. I’m doing a grooming tutorial to show you some of men’s biggest mistakes when rocking short stubble beards.
Biggest short stubble beard blunders
- Going too short is the biggest mistake that I see. It’s the difference between a 5 o’clock shadow and a 10-day stubble. There’s a big difference between 2 mm, 3 mm, 4 mm, and 5 mm. 5 mm is the max for a short stubble beard. For it to look its best, make sure you’re using a great tool that has the flexibility to give you what you’re looking for. The only tool I use and what I recommend is the Brio 2.0. 10-day stubble is scientifically proven to be the most attractive beard length, with studies from thousands of women.
- The next mistake is not fading and blending your beard into your sideburns. You look stupid when there’s a distinct line between your beard and your hair. I recommend going over your hair to maintain that specific length.
- Not detailing the boundaries properly is a mistake I see many guys making. Overly carving or shaping the beard too thin will make you look like a douche. Also, don’t let it grow up your face or down your neck; you will look like a savage. Learn to define the boundaries properly, which I demonstrate. I also demonstrate how to shave correctly underneath your chin. The proper boundary will frame your face and make your beard look the best it can be, and a proper shaving of the jaw doesn’t make it look weak.
- Another mistake is neglecting the crook of your nose, leaving long hair.
- Failing to edge is another issue. Edge along your lip and make sure that your hair isn’t growing down into your lip which is another huge mistake. Nobody wants a kiss with a mouthful of fuzz. Edge around your ear to ensure that you keep it clean and tidy in between haircuts.
- Regarding the soul patch, clean up stray, straggler hairs. Give it a bit of a diamond dimension or triangle. It will draw the eye down to help strengthen your chin.